On October 27th and 28th, Blackstone LaunchPad representatives from across the country will come together in New York for the first annual Blackstone LaunchPad Conference and Demo Day. This event will be the first time that the entire Blackstone LaunchPad network will assemble to share best practices, network, and hear directly from Blackstone and the Foundation. The group will include faculty representatives from all 15 Blackstone LaunchPad university programs, 20 student venture team representatives, distinguished entrepreneurs and members of the Blackstone Community.
For the Demo Day, representatives from the top 20 student-founded ventures, selected from over 70 applications from across the Blackstone LaunchPad network will compete for prize money to fund their ventures. Judges include Blackstone executives and other members of the Blackstone network. The final five teams will pitch their ideas directly to Steve Schwarzman, Chairman, CEO, and Co-Founder of Blackstone, Joan Solotar, Head of External Relations and Strategy at Blackstone and Chair of Blackstone Charitable Foundation Board of Directors, Jason Kelly, Editor of Bloomberg LINK and Author of The New Tycoons, Bill Murphy, Senior Managing Director and the Chief Technology Officer at Blackstone, and Matt Skurbe, Treasurer and Managing Director in the Finance Group at Blackstone. The first, second, and third place teams announced at the conclusion of Demo Day will be awarded venture prize money of $25,000, $15,000 and $10,000 respectively.
The 20 finalists presenting at the 2014 Blackstone LaunchPad Demo Day are listed below:
- The University of Southern California: Bread & Butter – Bread & Butter is a platform that connects food retailers with a daily food surplus with underserved communities.
- Case Western Reserve University: Carbon Origins – Carbon Origins is a startup technology company with the goal to design and develop tools and technology solutions that will enable the next generation of engineers, scientists and entrepreneurs to change the world.
- The University of Southern California: Desert Farms – Desert Farms is a global camel milk brand, which has become a desirable beverage among Autism, Diabetes and Muslim communities due to its healing properties.
- Wayne State University: Eli Tea – Eli Tea is an all-natural loose leaf tea company from Detroit.
- University of California, Los Angeles: Enrou – Enrou is an online content-driven marketplace for the conscious consumer to discover one-of-a kind products created in developing countries from around the world.
- Case Western Reserve University: EveryKey – Everykey is a stylish wristband that replaces keys and passwords by unlocking devices when users are present and locking when they are not.
- University of Central Florida: Fourier Electric – Fourier Electric has developed a Platform Technology; Non Mechanical pumping, for applications in Thermal Control Management.
- University of California, Irvine: iBesties – iBesties Middle School Moguls is a brand that aims to inspire girls ages 6-10 in the areas of entrepreneurship and technology learning through books, dolls and online entertainment.
- University of Central Florida: Joox Music – JOOX is the world’s first, music centered fan-funding platform with a reward model that empowers artists and fans through continuous engagement, allowing artists and fans to develop a truly unique relationship.
- University of Central Florida: Limbitless Solutions – Limbitless Solutions produces and distributes functional pediatric prosthetic arms for child using 3-D printing technology.
- University of Central Florida: O’Dang Hummus – O’Dang Hummus is the Ben & Jerry’s of the hummus industry with revolutionary flavors and fun creative packaging.
- The University of Southern California: Piggy –Piggy’s award winning, patented technology has made it possible for a customer to receive his or her loose change (and smaller bills) digitally to their bank account, upon a cash transaction to a merchant.
- Montana State University: PocketNC – Pocket NC builds affordable 5-axis desktop printers.
- The University of Southern California: Q-Cigarettes – Q-Cigarettes are a smoking cessation aid and nicotine replacement therapy delivery device.
- University of Montana: RanchLogs – RanchLogs is an interactive, web-based, livestock inventory and range management software that can be used to aid planning, perform analysis, improve communications and speed decision making for ranch entities.
- Case Western Reserve University: SensID – SensID helps train medical professionals with technology enabled solutions.
- University of Miami: Splyst – Splyst is a platform that leverages machine learning to curate personalized real-time internet content for its users and gives them the ability to share that content with their follower base.
- University of California, Irvine: TheBuletin – TheBuletin is a mobile platform where students can instantly access course deadlines all in one place.
- Kent State University: The New Fuel – The New Fuel is an award winning animation and design studio that specializes in telling stories by designing animations and graphics for print, broadcast and web.
- Philadelphia University: Wash Cycle Laundry – Wash Cycle Laundry uses bicycles to deliver thousands of pounds of laundry to hospitals, businesses and consumers in Philadelphia, Washington & Austin.
Please follow us at @Blackstone and @BXLaunchPad and keep an eye out for the hash tag #BXDemoDay for live updates from the conference and Demo Day. To learn more about Blackstone LaunchPad, please click here.